Everything you always wanted to know about soapmaking can be found... here!
Soapmaking how-tos, troubleshooting and general knowledge base
A collection of Frequently Asked Questions... and their answers
Questions are listed in random order. Run a "find on page" in your browser if you are looking for a specific item.
Links in the FAQ below can point to other Websites. If you would like to contribute a question and its answer, we'd love to hear from you!
- How do I calculate mould volume?
- How do I know how much soap I need to fill my mould?
- [Urban myth revealed] Where is Mount Sapo, and why did it give its name to soap?
- How do I make soap without using lye (caustic soda)?
- Why is it that soap cannot be made without lye?
- Where can I find a downloadable SAPonification calculator?
- Why should I not use palm oil?
- Where can I find ethical alternatives to palm oil?
- What do all those acronyms mean: OHP, CPOP, DWCP, HP, NHCP, PKO, RBO, DBHP, MWHP, CP, CPHP, EO, EVO, MHP, EVOO, FO, ITMHP, KOH, NaOH...?
- Which measurement units shall I use when making soap?
- Where can I find an easy soap recipe, such as for Castile soap?
- What is DWCP and how do I "discount" water in soapmaking?
Page last updated 07 jan 2015